Timothy Leary, Ph.D.
This nOde last updated July 31st, 2007 and is permanently morphing…
(10 Oc (Dog) / 18 Xul (Dog) – 10/260 – 220.127.116.11.10)
Leary was arrested and imprisoned for possession of a single marijuana joint. Upon entering the California State Prison at Chino, he was administered an intelligence test to determine where he should be placed within the state’s prison strata. The test happened to be based on psychological standards that Leary himself had largely authored during his groundbreaking work in the 1950s. He knew how to make it work for him. He checked off all the answers that, in his own words, would make him seem “normal, nonimpulsive, docile, conforming.” As a result he was transferred to California Men’s Colony – West at San Luis Obispo – a minimum-security prison.
- goddaughter, Winona Ryder
- Uma Thurman: Born in Boston, Massachusetts, she was given a Buddhist upbringing. Her Swedish mother Nena was introduced to her first husband, Timothy Leary, by surrealist artist Salvador Dali, whom she divorced after less than a year before marrying Uma’s father Robert, a professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist studies at Columbia University.
- Terence McKenna
- 604 track _Tribute To Tim Leary_ by Yopo off of _Sonic Boom!_ compilation CD on Boom! (1996)
- interview by Mark Katzman, 1995
“The 90s are here, and the doctor is in…”=:-) – William Gibson
“Timothy Leary’s humorous, humane, entertaining….romp through history from Aquaria to Cyberia. I feel my neurons perking up and snapping to attention………He makes the chaos of our everyday lives sexy.” – Susan Sarandon
For several thousand years it has seemed obvious that the basic nature of the universe is extreme complexity, inexplicable disorder-that mysterious, tanked magnificence popularly known as Chaos.
Individualistic thinking is the original sin of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic bibles and sabotages attempts by the authorities to order Chaos.
The first rule of every law-and-order system is to trivialize-daemonize the dangerous concepts of Self, Individual Aims, and Personal Knowledge. Thinking for Your Selves is heretical, treasonous, blasphemous. Only devils and satans do it. Creative thinking, committed out loud, becomes a capital crime. It was Three Strikes and Youre Out for several hundred thousand Protestant dissenter during the Inquisitions of the Roman papacy-not to forget the witch-burnings performed by the Protestants when they took charge of the Chaos-control department.
- book _Exo-Psychology_
- book _Neuropolitique_
- techno track _Neuropolitik_ MP3 by David Caretta samples Timothy Leary
- entity Neuropolitique
- ambient techno track _Express Triangle_ MP3off of _Menage A Trois_ 12″ on Irdial (1994)
- ambient techno track _In The Mix_ MP3 (160k) off of _Gene Pool_ 12″ on Irdial #026
- track _Cuban Timewarp_ MP3 (160k) off of _Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?_ CD on New Electronica (1995)
- IDM techno track _Animated Data_ MP3 off of _Nomenclature_ 12″x2 on New Electronica #029 (1996)
- spoken word acid house track _Neuropolitiks_ MP3 (256k) by DJ Doktor Megatrip & DJ Doktor off of _Tekno Acid Beat_ compilation CD on Temple #041 (1988)
“These psychedelic substances cause hysterical psychoses in people who have not taken them…”
– Timothy Leary
In the information age, you don’t teach philosophy as they did after feudalism. You perform it. If Aristotle were alive today he’d have a talk show.
Timothy Leary (b. 1920), U.S. psychologist. Evening Standard (London, 8 Feb. 1989).
The most advanced shamanic techniques – such as Tibetan Tantra or Crowley’s system in the west – work by alternating faith and skepticism until you get beyond the ordinary limits of both. With such systems, one learns how arbitrary are the reality maps that can be coded into laryngeal grunts by hominids or visualized by a mammalian nervous system. We can’t even visualize the size of the local galaxy except in special high states. Most people are trapped in one static reality map imprinted on their neurons when they were naive children, as Dr. Leary keeps reminding us. Alas, most so-called “adepts” or “gurus” are similarly trapped in the first postrapture reality map imprinted after their initial Illumination, as Leary also realizes. The point of systems like Tantra, Crowleyanity, and Leary’s Neurologic is to detach from all maps – which gives you the freedom to use any map where it works and drop it where it doesn’t work. As Dogen Zenji said, “Time is three eyes and eight elbows.”
– Robert Anton Wilson – _The Illuminati Papers_
“A lot of psychologists I have known over the years agreed with Leary – they acknowledged in private that LSD was an incredibly valuable tool. But these same psychologists backed off as the heat from the government increased, until they all became as silent as moonlight on a tombstone. And Tim was still out there with his angry Irish temper, denouncing the government and fighting on alone.
“I don’t want to discount that there are people whose lives have been destroyed by drugs, but are they the result of Timothy’s research or or the result of government policies? Leary’s research was dosed down, and the media stopped quoting him a long time ago. Most people don’t even understand what Leary’s opinions were or what it was he was trying to communicate. By contrast, the government’s policies have been carried out for 30 years, and now we have a major drug disaster in this country. Nobody, of course, thinks it’s the government’s fault – they think it’s Leary’s for trying to prevent it, for trying to have scientific controls over the thing. He deserves a better legacy than that.”
– Robert Anton Wilson
You cannot stay “turned-on” all the time. You cannot stay any place all the time. That’s a law of evolution. After the revelation it is necessary to drop-back-in, return to the fake-prop TV-studio and initiate small changes which reflect the glory and the meaning of the “turn-on”. You change the way you move, the way you dress, and you change your corner of the TV-studio society! You begin to look like a happy saint! Your home slowly becomes a shrine. Slowly, gently, you start seed transformations around you. Psychedelicart. Psychedelic style. Psychedelic music. Psychedelic dance.Timothy Leary (1920-1996)
_Start Your Own Religion_ – “How to Tune In”
One of the many lesser known facts about Timothy Leary is his invention of a whole-brain model for intelligence (_INFO-Psychology_; Falcon Press) which has since spawned two additional versions; one by myself (_ANGEL TECH_; Falcon.) and one by Robert Anton Wilson (_PROMETHEUS RISING_; Falcon.). Dr. Leary’s “Eight-Circuit Brain” theory suggests that “intelligence” is fundamentally plural by definition; an interaction of intelligences, or brains, begets more intelligence. Eight interactive functions of intelligence are defined by Leary and, in the creative process of making them my own, redefined as: physical, emotional, conceptual, social, sensory, psychic, imaginative and spiritual intelligences (readers of ANGEL TECH may notice a change from “mythic” intelligence to the more psychological “imaginative” intelligence).
Aleister Crowley said: “There are three ways to increase your intelligence:
2. Constantly revise your reality maps, and seek new metaphors about the future to understand what’s happening now.
3. Develop external networks for increasing intelligence. In particular, spend all your time with people are smart or smarter than you. We assume that you are the Intelligence Agent from you gene pool, so you will seek Intelligence Agents from other gene-pools who will stimulate you to get smarter.
-TL, _The Intelligence Agents_
In the late 50’s and 60’s, a group of a hundred or so select psychologists and philosophers discovered the brain. That is, they discovered how to navigate and explore the brain, just like Magellan and Columbus did for the outer geography of the planet earth. People likeAldous Huxley, Alan Watts, and Albert Hofmann used psyche-active vehicles to move around in the brain. One of the major philosophic tasks of the late twentieth century is mapping the different islands or hemispheres or continents in the universe of the brain.
I remember Huxley used the metaphor of the fire antipodes of the brain, of the mind — like Australia being discovered by Captain Cook. This is the first task of the psychedelic philosopher. So over the years I’ve produced dozens of sketch maps of the culvas circles, the circuits or the levels of consciousness. These were crude words to build up a vocabulary or a cartography of inner space. I don’t use the notion of eight circuits now as much as I did, but that’s why i did it.
The twenty-first century person is a cybernetic person. He or she accepts the Heisenberg principle that you create all realities. Therefore you’re responsible for everything that you experience. This identification of yourself as a quantum entity certainly dissolves most of the identification chords to your former culture, your former nation, your former religion, or any other external structure, even to your family, unless family members are redefined as cybernetic entities. The cyber-punk, or the cybernetic person, is a free agent. By the way, nobody uses that term anymore; it’s like one of those words taht was wonderful for awhile, then it carried all the freight it could, and it was kind of co-opted by some high-falutin literay types and so forth. But no one uses that word anymore, although we certainly hang it up on the trophy shelf as a wonderful bumper sticker.
The cybernetic person spends a very high percentage of his or her time and energy in what’s now called cyber-space, communicating, mutually creating new realities with other people, on the other side of the screen. The cyber-punk person is a free agent, and the new society is made up of free agents who link-up at a much different level of social connection than family, work, or religious commitment. So the cyber-society is a society of highly skilled, highly courageous, cybernetic people who mutually create what we call “cyberias” or cyber-architectures, on the other side of the screen.
During July and August 1973, Timothy Leary, the scientific clinical psychologist and arch-heretic fired from Harvard, received what he termed the “Starseed Transmissions”; the messages came in nineteen bursts and were seldom in recognizable English. Leary theorizes that “Higher Intelligence” is a two-step process: first DNA is seeded on a planet to take root and grow; second, when the life form(s) grow and show signs of maturity, transmissions (via interstellar ESP) are sent to the fledgling intelligence to facilitate its growth and eventual return to the stars. Leary feels that interstellar ESP has been going on all through the ages, and that each culture interprets the messages, from where and from whom they come, in relationship to their own cultural beliefs (e.g. angels, spirits, goddesses, UFOs, demons, fairies, weird people, the Virgin Mary, etc.).
- Summer 1960 – Leary turns on to magic mushrooms in Mexico
- 604 track _Went Mental In Mexico_ MP3 (192k) by Qlap off of of 12″ on Digital Structures (2002)
- May 1963 – Leary and Richard Alpert (aka Ram Dass) fired from Harvard
- When Harvard dismissed Leary in 1963, he set up the Castalia Institute in Millbrook, New York, to continue his studies. Leary’s approach to taking LSD was the opposite of Ken Kesey’s – Leary believed in “set and setting,” a practice of taking the drug in a controlled environment, as a safeguard against bad trips.
- February 1970 – Leary convicted and jailed for possessing a marijuana joint
- September 12, 1970 – Leary escapes from prison with the help of The Weathermen – a radical offshoot of the Students For Democratic Society (SDS) and ends up in Algeria meeting up with Black Panther Eldridge Cleaver
- Tim Leary makes an appearance as himself in the video _We’re All Devo_on Rhino (1983)
Timothy Leary: Because that’s the only kind of trip the Establishment would let it take.
Leary: Every metaphor approximating the visionary experience is optical: illumination, revelation, insight, perspective, reflection. Right down the list. I’m too senile to remember all of them, but punch “illumination” up into your computer thesaurus, and you’ll get [laughs, nods, fades]. Light has always been the statement of the ultimate brain experience: Tibetans talk about the White Light of the Void. Dante’s Heaven was total white . . . the Egyptian religions, sun. These are primitive anticipations of what we now have available. The human brain is starved for electronic stimulation; the human brain is addicted to light.
- 604 track _Let’s Turn On_ MP3 (160k) by Doof
- 604 track _Let’s Fungaz/Dropped In, Psyched Out_ MP3 (192k) 12″ by Navajo on Creamcrop #011
- 604 _Basic Tribal Pattern (Sid Mix)_ MP3 (192k)
- samples Timothy Leary right before he says his famous mantra “turn on tune in drop out”
- tribal breakbeat noise pop track _The Weird Revolution_ MP3 (192k) by Butthole Surfers off of _The Weird Revolution_ on Hollywood (2001)
- Gibby: “on behalf of dr. timothy leary, in association with the legions of illuminated social rejects, and as an influential administrator & creator of musical chaos in these so called united states, i stand as a messenger of strangeness this evening in order to impress upon, or at least to instruct the honorable musicians, as to the methods of the truly bizarre reality, the weird revolution.”
- track _How To Operate Your Brain_ MP3 (28:54) by Timothy Leary and Genesis P. Orridge
- “you might catch yourself sliding in and out of…;
- “just relax and enjoy, relax and enjoy..”;
- “this is an experiment in mind-formation, in-formation, informing, controlling, operating your mind and your brain… techniques, overload, scramble, confuse, and focus your mind…”;
- “the natural state of the brain is chaos… we’re dealing with a complexity of in-formation… the first thing to do is to overwhelm your focused mind, your linear mind, by overloading signals, digitalpatterns, clusters of photons and electrons which produces a pleasant state of confused chaos… this is the state of the brain when it is ready to be in-formed… that is to be, re-programmed…”
- “the human brain contains 100 billion neurons, each neuron is as powerful as a computer, and each neuron has around 10,000 connections with other neurons… within our forheads, there is a chaos… inside our brains, there is a galaxy of information, which is incomprehensible for linear minds.. this contrasts and compares perfectly with the chaos without… we’re living in a universe which has 100 billion galaxies, each galaxy with star systems, planets, a complexity which to our minds right now, is chaotic… incomprehensible… “
- “chaos is beautiful. there are many times we are afraid, because we want order… we can’t deal with confusion and disorder… we want form, we want rules… yes… throughout human history there have been people, religious leaders, political leaders, who will give you order. they will give you rules and commandments.. but chaos is basically good, relax… surf the waves of chaos, and learn how to re-design your own realities… sit back… flow… open your eyes… turn off your minds and focus, and let the waves of chaos roll over your brian… float, drift, zoom, design, create, re-order, your order, your style, from chaos… yes… yes… chaos… yes…”
- “the aim… of human life… to know thyself… think for yourself, question authority… link with your friends… create.. create new realities… philosophy is a team sport… philosophy is the ultimate aphrodisiac pleasure… learning how to operate your brain, learning how to operate your mind, learning how to re-design chaos…”
- “the religious leaders, the political leaders wnat to give you orders, to run your life, to determine how you think… the basic goal, is to operate your own mind… operate for yourself… “
- “around 3000 years ago, a group of human beings in Athens, Greece, developed a new philosophy… the basic religion of humanity, is called humanism… Socrates said, the aim of human life is to know thyself… create and design your own order out of chaos… Socrates did not give commandments, Socrates did not impose order, Socrates asked questions… he encouraged to speculate, design, create, interact their own versions of reality… Socrates said the way to perform philosophy, in small groups, raising questions, learning from each other, change, changing your mind, growing together, linking together… “
- “it has been the authorities, the political, religious, educational authorities, who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, in-forming, forming our minds, with their view of reality… to think for yourself, you must question authority, and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open mindedness, chaotic, confused, vulnerability, to inform yourself…”
- “then came Marshall McLuhan… in the 1950’s… McLuhan said, in a Socratic sense, the medium is the message… the words you use, the modes of communication you use, determine the realities you inhabit… most of our lives, most of us live in realities determined by others, imprinted in our brains by education, by religion, by politics, by the authorities… McLuhan said, if you want to change your mind, change the medium, change the words your use, change the mode of communications… you change the medium, you change yourself, you change your society… in the 1960’s a new mode of communication developed… television, kids growing up in the 1950’s, learned how to tune in, turn on, fine tune, turn off, select, determine, what hits your eyeballs… you control your eyeballs, your eardrums, you direct and manage the media… to program your brain… McLuhan said, who controls the media, is programming your mind and your brain… “
- “we are using in this tape, the new media of digital, multimedia, audiographic overload, attempting to create a state of open mindedness, pleasant vulnerability, in which we will in-form, imprint the messages of the sponsor, use your head, learn how to operate your brain…”
- “to operate your brain, you must understand how to use your eyes… oh say can you see… oh say can’t you see, what’s being done to your eyes… who controls your eyeballs, controls your mind… imprints, to your brain… oh say can’t you see, that the messages that hit your eyeballs in modern television are creating realities, imprinting messages from the sponsors, who are not usually interested in you learning how to design your own realities…”
- “warning! warning! who controls your screens, controls the programming of your mind… your eyes are the windows of your brain… the eyes are made up of hundreds of layers of neurons, rods, cones, your eyeballs deal with one energy… it’s light. through your eyes come illumination, vision, perception, enlightenment, illumination, your eyes are the windows of your soul… who controls your eyeballs, controls your brain… learn how to dial, fine tune your eyeballs… learn how to unfocus your eyes, dilate your pupils, learn how to open up to the illumination of light, and then re-focus and re-design your own new order, your own designs, your own language… “
- “in the sixties, we said power to the people… in the nineties, in the digital multimedia nineties we say, power to the pupil.”
- “envision… light waves… sound waves… open eyes… open mind… open your brain… learn how to send messages using electrons… your brain loves light…”
- “we’re also passing on in this demonstration, the message of Ralph Waldo Emerson… the first, and and probably the greatest American philosophy, who said, divinity lies within… don’t look to the churches, or to the big marbled institutions… your divinity lies within… you must learn to operate your brian, operate your soul… learn how to communicate, brain to brain, soul to soul, with other people… your divinity lies within…”
- “the brian is designed to design realities… if you operate your own brain skillfully, and learn to design your own realities, learn how to communicate in the language of the brain – electrons & photons… we are doing this now, we are sending messages from our brains, using the vehicle of electrons & photos to your eyeballs… as we watch this screen, our minds are bedazzled, our minds have softened, our linear sharp logical thinking is gentle, and we’re linking brain to brain… we’re using the electrons, computer circuits, to feed each others brains with light… “
- “this is the first paragraph, the first attempt, the first child’s primer, in how to communicate using both the orderly left brain and the chaotic confusing language of photons & electrons… your brain, my brain, our brains, live on light, just as the body needs air and carbohydrates… our brains are starved for light, for illumination for revelation, use your head… learn how to operate your brain… “
- “Marshall McLuhan made the prophecy… he told us, the aim of evolution is for us to use media, to create what we all want… the global village. the language that can be understood by every human being, by every brain… the basic language of humanity, the language of the brain… lights, sounds, rhythms, pulsating your bones, moving your body, we all know this language, we can all sing and dance, this language… the electrons, the radio waves, the rhythm… now we have digital communication… we can create our fantasies, we can create our rhythms… design, on screens, the new language we develop, a global language… not based on letters, not based on grammars… a language we all understand… based on clusters of waves, light, sound, we all understand… we all celebrate, we are glory, in the light, the illumination… contact, the intersection, the interaction, around the world… the language of form… we will create a language of international global brain link up. anyone from any culture watching this screen, will get the general picture.. this one global village [track _Im Nin ‘Alu_ MP3 by Ofra Haza heard in background], this one global human spirit, one global human race… as we link up through screens, linked by electrons & photons we will create for the first time, a global humanity…. not separated by words or minds or nationalities or religious biases… now. listen. the message, from the sponsor… there is one global human race, who are just now learning to communicate… brain to brain, soul to soul…”
- video excerpt – _Ultimate Democracy_ (mpg) by Pure-Research.net
- “we now have the thumbnail chip, that in ten years they tell us, will have a billion transistors costing a few dollars… what that means is that the inner city kid can walk around with more information processing and transmitting ability than ABC or CBS right now, for less money than a pair of Nikes which they’re killing for in the inner city right now… so this is going to be decentralization, it’s going to mean ultimate democracy. who controls the press controls the people; who controls the tube controls the people… in the future we will all be controlling our own screens and zapping our messages around…”
- track _Timothy Leary Lives_ MP3by Pop O Pies
- track _The Turn On_ MP3 (96k) by Timothy Leary
- track _The Elite_ MP3 by Timothy Leary
- track _On Timothy Leary_ MP3 (96k) by Allen Ginsberg
- release _Beyond Life With Timothy Leary_ (released posthumously)
- _Beyond Life_ MP3 (192k)
- _While Birds Sing_ MP3
- _Fifty Million Years_ MP3
- samples: “So our brains evolving over 50 million years have these receptor sites…”; “The future of our species is to learn how to use our brain…”
- _Star Light_ MP3 by Timothy Leary & Dr. Fiorella Terenzi
- samples:“listen, to the sound of stars… open ear drums… dilate eyeballs… turn your receivers to star sound…human brain… universe within… 100 billion neurons… each neuron, tangled web of electric meaning… limitless galaxies of meanings within… brain power… star light… illumination… enlightenment… tune brain to star sound… turn brain to pulsing rhythms of star light… turn brain into star brain… listen… let brain resonate… resonate to star sound… your brain is a galaxy within…”
- _Eternal Note_ MP3 (192k) by Timothy Leary & Liquid Mind
- samples: “now, energy becomes… here it is… nameless… timeless… speed of light… float beyond fear… float beyond desire… into this mystery of mysteries… through this gate… of all wonder… open… naked… high… drift within… by the thread of sound… light… radiant… puzzling… vibration… light waves… eternal note… trembling web of light… sound waves… merge into the sea… spin slowly… round, eternal, note… glittering energy… whirpool of light… drift within… on the thread of sound… focus… love… center… down… vibration thread… you are light… you are sound… drift within… this is your body… can you flow? throb… through each tissue corridor… throb to the pulse of life… float beyond life and death… time…
- _Why Not? Why Not? Why Not?_ MP3 (192k)
- _Goodbye, Goodbye_ MP3 (192k)
- _Legend Of A Mind_ MP3 by The Moody Blues
- _A Tale Of The Tribe_ MP3 by Allen Ginsberg
- _Lion’s Mouth_ by Timothy Leary with Al Jourgensen & Friends
- track _Origins Of Dance_ MP3 by Timothy Leary meets The Grid (1990)
- samples: “psychedelic… extend… the brain… got it? dance was originally a psychedelic way of expressing yourself… a way of getting high… the movements can be in tune with your ancient cellular mythic patterns… and the dance itself can be a wild ecstatic turn on! think for yourself… and question authority…”
- 604 track _Stargate Avalon_ MP3 (160k) off of _Hicksville_ CD on Dragonfly/LSD/Novatekk (1998)
- sample: “I stumbled upon the philosopher’s stone… i had the veil of illusion pulled out… and was confronted by the many levels of energy and many realms of consciousness which were available to man..I opened the pandora’s box of multiple realities…I became tuned in…. on a network of neurological signals; on a cellular resonance that radiate hundreds of millions of times per second within my body… “ – Timothy Leary
- release _Turn On Tune In Drop Out_ 12″ on Mercury (1967)
- _Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out_ MP3 (192k)
- _The Trip_
- _The Turn On_ MP3 (192k)
- _The Tune In_ MP3 (192k)
- _The Beginning Of The Voyage (Heart Chakra)_ MP3 (192k)
- _Root Chakra_ MP3 (192k)
- _All Girls Are Yours_ MP3 (192k)
- female voice: “can you float through the universe of your body and not lose your way? can you lie quietly, engulfed in the slippery union of male & female? warm, wet dance of generations, endless ecstasies of couples… can you offer your stamen trembling in the meadow for the electric penetration of pollen, while birds sing? writhe together on the riverbank, while birds sing? wait.. soft feather, quivering in the thicket, while birds sing… can you coil serpentine, slide together in monocule embrace, lose all, fusing. watch quietly while the 10,000 forms swim into life, and return to the source… galactic time has labored to produce this moment. exquisite. all things, all images move slowly within shimmering nets. here, essence endures. from here, all forms emerge. from this second, back to the ancient beginning. before heaven & earth, there was something nebulous, tranquil, effortless, permeating universally, never tiring, revolving soundless, fusion….”
- _Freak Out_ MP3 (192k)
- _Genetic Memory_ MP3 (192k)
- Guide/Narrator: Timothy Leary
- Executive producer: Henry Saperstein
- music by Maryvonne Giercarz (veena), Lars Eric (guitar), Richard Bond (tabla)
- […] “you are the buddha… you’re two billion years old… come on, beloved traveler… sit down… center… go back down, the ladder of genetic memory… find your divinity… return, to the source… you are the buddha… return, to seed beginnings… embrace this ancient serpent coil of mothers and fathers… back to the source… magical helix of life… curling back to primeval beginnings… unbroken chain of life… unceasing… continuous… tree of life… branching out… in fleshly leaves, innumerable… twist back beyond mind… return, to the source… eternal law of seed… endless chain of life… oh seed, father, i remember you… mother of memory, i remember you… our father, who art in cellular heaven within, hallowed be thy names… from whose loins we have sprung… tissue mother, i remember you… take me back, fleshly parents… back to the temple, back to the cave, back to the desert, back to the jungle… oh fanged & furry father, from whose loins i sprang, i remember you… our furry fathers, who are in ancient heaven, hallowed be thy names in shallow jungle pools… hail mary, mother… hail mother of flesh… blessed is the fruit of thy womb… i remember… back, back beyond flesh & bone… many cellular mother… colloidal globule father, origin of my life… our slimy protozoan fathers in moist cellular heaven, hallowed be thy tissue name, in shallow brothy tropical pools… beyond life… now i lay me down to sleep in cold crystal patterns… amino acid ancestors, and now i die before i wake in silent void… galactic space, shimmering, molecular design of energy beyond life… empty bowl of radiance and stars… silent, shimmering, void… atomic vacuum… ancestor of all things… out here, out here, all sharpness rounded… all wheels glide along soft tracks of light… preface to life, galactic play… belted radiance, lethal spectrum, jeweled indifference… jeweled indifference… where’s home? i want to go back… get me back, get me back… is it all a dream? it’s cold out here… warning… solar shutters closing, opening, lethal, fusion, love, danger, radiance, fusion, bliss, fusion… slide…………….into fusion. goodbye. slide…………… into fusion…”
- _Re-Entry (Nirvana)_ MP3 (192k)
- _Epilogue_ MP3 (192k)
- track MP3 (truncated 6:00) off of _Ancient Lights & The Blackcore_ by Timothy Leary & DJ Cheb I Sabbah
- sample: “this incredible power inside the brain is ready to be activated…”
- techno track _From Psychedelics To Cybernetics_ MP3 (256k) by System 01 feat. Timothy Leary off of _Trance-Tekno Express_ compilation CD on Tresor/Powwow Trance (1993)
- samples: “think for yourself, and question authorities…”; “it is my job to corrupt young people… [cheers] with a contagious, infectious idea of individual freedom…”; “chaos engineering…”; “chaos… wow!”; “it was the CIA and the military that brought LSD to America… they thought ‘what a way to fuck people’s heads up…'”; “you’re equipped with a 100 billion neuron brain that’s wired and fired and is a reality generating device… but YOU’VE got to do it… free yourself…”; “i have probably used my brain, explored my brain, operated my brain, navigated my brain.. psychedelics to cybernetics, my brain has been inundated… my brain has been through A LOT…; “wow”; “one individual, with electrons in his hand, can bring down an empire… go for it all!”
- track _Any Reality Is An Opinion_ MP3 by System 01 featuring Timothy Leary off of _From Psychodelics To Cybernetics_
- track _Exit 23 by Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia off of _Ov Biospheres and Sacred Grooves – A Document Ov New Edge Folk Classics_ CD on KK/Restless (1993)
- sample: “Return… To The Source“ by Timothy Leary
- kraut rock blues release _Seven Up_ 12″ (1972) by Ash Ra Tempel feat. Timothy Leary
- a1 _Space_ MP3 (192) (16:00)(22.5megs)
- b1 _Time_ MP3 (192k)(21:36)(30.4megs)
- track _How To Operate Your Brain_ MP3 by Timothy Leary
- interview _Pursuit Of Pleasure (NBC Broadcast 1967)_ MP3 (32k)
- acoustic new age track _Terence McKenna (Introduced By Timothy Leary)_ MP3 (96k)
- track _Left Hand Shake (Banned Studio Version)_ MP3 by Skinny Puppy off of _Last Rights_
- samples by Timothy Leary on _Left Hand Shake_ MP3 off of _Brap_ (European Version Only)
- “You are a light. You are sound. Drift within. This is your body.”
- “Did you get lost on the trip?”
- “Did you get trapped in memory?”
- “Did you forget?”
- “What did you do?”
- “Virtual mindgame…”
- “Trivial paranoia…”
- “You had to make it a bad trip.”
- “…Don’t see the light… Do not see right…”
- “In this mirror of confession…”
- “What do you see there? Your personality… All your goals and your fears… Your ambitions.”
- “The chess game of your life; got to check that, you can’t take it on the trip.”
- “All those animal impulses that you hide…”
- “And keep down below, all this baggage must be checked.”
- “You can’t take that on the billion year voyage.”
- “Are you ready?”
- “Then take this chalice, the elixir of life.”
Well, I think the medical profession, we all know that, is totally corrupt. Every doctor now is a corporation. And medical research in this country is government-sponsored and government-funded or funded by large drug companies. I think that government corporations should fucking keep their hands off the brain-change substances. The idea of a government-sponsored, authorized, doctor giving LSD to mess around with people’s brains is the ultimate Orwellian nightmare. The operational access to and use of your own mind and brain is a highly individual choice. Just as the right-wing government and politician’s religions want to control women’s reproductive organs, they want to control brains. The key, here, is that . . . the adult American should be able to do with their mind or their body what she wants to.
So, I’m bored with discussions of the social, because it’s highly individual–it’s not just individuals, it’s individuals in small groups. Because individuals, by themselves, taking psychedelics are alienated, lost, fucked up; you’ve got to do it in small groups. That’s the basic shamanic [pause], which Socrates taught us, and which Aldous Huxley taught us at Harvard. Small groups.